My Photo
Name:
Location: Karachi, Pakistan

Thursday, December 15, 2005

May 2004

Rising star
Digital artist turned DJ Danish Rahi is getting heard across the cluttered canvas of our pop scene
by Salman Siddiqui

Upcoming Pakistani soloist Danish Rahi is adding a bit of jazz to dance floors around Pakistan these days. Remember ‘Chal Meray Saath’ and the fiery red Ferraris in the video? That’s the title track off Danish’s debut ‘Fiza’. The son of celebrated abstract cubist Mansoor Rahi, this 26-year-old is making waves. From his home in the USA, Danish gave us the lowdown on his starry ambitions over email.

Q: Which musicians have influenced you?A. I get my inspirations from all sources, from Pink Floyd and Nusrat Fateh Ali to BT and anonymous folk.Q. How do you manage juggling time between graphic designing and music? A: I see graphics and vocals as colors on my palette, along with other colors like editing, 3D animation, and direction; they all come together to paint one strong masterpiece. My music skills help me with my design work and the knowledge of design helps me when I’m composing music, so yes, they do compliment each other. I work 16 hours a day and enjoy every moment. Everyone gets the same amount of hours in a day; it’s up to you to decide how much to make of your time. Q. How has software aided you in your music? A: High-end software can affect everything in a production. If you are recording in a digital environment, it is crucial to manage the software carefully but please do not confuse the “Audio effects” or “Audio Filters” with software. I believe that filters and effects must be used under controlled direction otherwise they can make the sound too artificial or over electronic, but in art, breaking the rules is part of the creative process. It all comes down to one thing: Does it sound beautiful? To answer your question, software plays a major role in my productions.Q. One thing that is surely distinctive are your funky and effects laden videos. Who handles this?A. I like to do most of the work myself. I try to keep my team small and try to work with people who are the best and can teach me something. In every production I create goals and targets. Then I find technical solutions to those problems; this process is very challenging and exciting for me and I learn a lot during the process.Q. Have you released your debut solo album only from the US? A. FIZA-The Evolution is now estimated to be the largest project ever to be launched by any Pakistani in the US and it is a worldwide release. It will be available in local music stores. It is a strategically developed project and offers a concept-based form of art in every manner. Every song has its own philosophical meaning along with the literal. As an album, all songs reflect the idea that life is way more than what we see on a superficial level and can have a deeper meaning that can be interpreted in unlimited ways. Q. What kind of an experience did you have as a new comer with the record labels in Pakistan?A. Well! We don’t have any major labels in Pakistan yet. We do not have proper incentives for any type of artists in Pakistan; therefore artists try to go to other countries to find those incentives. Ten years ago things were worse, and artists didn’t have the kind of options that we do today. However the good news is that we are on the right track, due to ever-changing technology. It’s much easier to distribute and sell your work today. Due to such changes, the definition of being talented is also evolving. Being a good singer is simply not enough, it requires many extra ordinary talents and skills in order for one to succeed and break through. I am working with my friends in Pakistan and other countries to create resources for Pakistani artists and generate more opportunities.Q. What’s your take on the current music scene in Pakistan?A. I believe that Pakistan has tremendous amount of talent. Looking at the current situation, I would call it an experimental phase. We are experimenting with our music as we learn and incorporate more and more Western styles. Experimentation is healthy but at the same time we must not forget our classical roots. What worries me are the “producers” in Pakistan. It is extremely important for them to understand that they are there to serve the artists and set them up for success. They must select and reject very carefully, and only on the basis of true talent. At the same time, every one of us should understand that “Arts” and “Showbiz” are two different things even though sometimes they perform together to provide entertainment.

Danish Rahi
www.danishrahi.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home